"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm" - George Orwell




Thursday, May 16, 2013

So the babies are gone.

About three days ago I noticed the cardinals nest was empty. I don't think those babies grew up that fast, so I fear that one of our many chicken snakes may have been their demise. I have actually witnessed this one  time with a pair of house wrens. It was gut wrenching to watch mom and dad try to get the snake out of the nest. Once again I fear the same played out here. C'est la vie.

4 comments:

  1. Damn. Around here, it's usually the neighbors' tree-climbing feral cats. Last year I tried so hard to rescue a wounded mama cardinal from one feral cat only to have the bird duck under a bush and right into the jaws of a second one. I do love my cardinals and blue jays here and those cats take a major toll on their nests and young.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that most folks in my hood know their cats need to be on a short leash. Anything in my yard is fair. game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, it is part of Nature. I usually watch the eagle cams on Ustream. Last year was a rough year for a lot of them. Hopefully your friends will come back and make a new nest next year for you to enjoy!

    Phyllis (N/W Jersey)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dammit to hell. Some times it just doesn't pay to appreciate things.

    ReplyDelete